Posted: Jan 30, 2014 6:00 AM
If the thought of another bowl of soup leaves you feeling unexcited, we think you'll rethink how you feel about soup when you lean over a pot of this savory soup. Goodbye bland and hello delicious!
Thai beef noodle soup with marinated Thai beef skewers
Marinated Thai beef skewers
- 1-1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Slice the flank steak across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- In a shallow dish large enough to hold the flank steak, stir together the marinade ingredients.
- Add the flank steak and coat each slice thoroughly.
- Cover the dish and allow to stand for 40 minutes at room temperature (or marinate for up to 5 hours in the refrigerator).
- Prepare the skewers for the grill by soaking them in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Drain the skewers.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, discarding any remaining liquid.
- Thread the meat onto the skewers.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook until seared on both sides roughly 4 to 5 minutes for medium well, turning once at the 2-minute mark.
Thai beef noodle soup
- 6 ounces packaged rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 4 medium uncooked scallions, green and white parts, divided and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 7 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen pea pods, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- Break noodles into 3-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add white portion of scallions, jalapeño and ginger and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth and soy sauce and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes (if necessary, skim fat from the surface during cooking).
- Add noodles and pea pods and simmer until noodles are just tender, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add green portion of scallions, cilantro and pepper sauce.
- Serve with beef skewers.