This just might be the best thing you do for your body all summer. Heck, I drink it all year-long. Warm in the winter months, chilled on heatwave-drenched summer mornings and spiked with a splash of vodka during the occasional happy hour. OK that last combination might not be the high point of your cleanse, but I like to visualize the intensely alkaline lemon, hefty dose of detoxifying ginger and tummy-soothing mint counterbalancing the booze. What some may consider magical thinking, I like to call the power of positive thinking.
You don't technically need a beautiful glass tea infuser, but it sure makes brewing this daily elixir a dream. I use mine every day. But feel free to combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan of boiling water, steep and strain. You'll get the same flavorful results.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2-inch piece of fresh ginger root (finely grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint (crushed to release flavor and aroma)
- Combine all ingredients into your tea infuser basket or in your saucepan.
- Pour just-boiling water over the mixture and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain into a mug or cup to enjoy slightly warm or refrigerate for a chilled mixture.
Diluting the warm drink with ice cubes is not recommended. However, pouring the chilled version over ice with a splash of your favorite clear alcohol is highly recommended. The trio of fresh citrus, herb and zesty root create a perfectly balanced drink that is perfect for summer. I've never found sweetener to be needed, but feel free to add a touch of raw, local honey if you want to boost taste. This might be just the trick to get your littles to expand their palate to a variety of lemonade stand offerings.