That transition from summer to back to school always seems to be stressful, especially when it comes to dinnertime. Save yourself some of the hassle and whip up this easy veggie quinoa stir-fry for the family. We've listed some of our favorite veggies to include in the mix, but if you don't have them on hand, don't worry. Just use what you do have. That's the beauty of stir-fry.
Veggie quinoa stir-fry
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, top removed, deseeded and sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 4 to 5 asparagus stalks, bottom 1 inch removed and sliced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and let cook for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off, leave the lid on and let cool for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork before adding to the stir-fry.
- While the quinoa is cooking, cut all ingredients as directed and place near your cooking station. The red bell pepper, zucchini and asparagus can be combined as they will be added together, but the onions and carrots should be separate.
- To make the sauce, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, garlic and ginger in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a 12- to 14-inch wok over medium heat. If you don't have a wok, use a large skillet. Once the wok is hot, add the peanut oil and carefully swirl it around to coat all sides of the wok.
- Add the onions to the wok and stir-fry until they start to soften and turn translucent.
- Add the carrots and stir-fry until the carrots soften slightly.
- Add the red bell pepper, zucchini and asparagus and stir-fry until they soften.
- Add the cooked quinoa and half of the stir-fry sauce. When pouring in the sauce, pour it around and down the sides of the wok instead of directly in the center. Stir everything until combined, adding more stir-fry sauce if desired. Let cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the vegetables are cooked.
- Serve immediately and top with Thai basil, scallions, chili oil, Sriracha or other ingredients of your choice.