Posted: Sep 09, 2014 5:00 AM
Photo credit: A_Lein/ iStock / 360/Getty Images
Quinoa-stuffed sweet potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 ears corn
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups black beans
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke holes in the sweet potatoes and bake for 1 hour or until soft and tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, slice them in half lengthwise, squeeze gently to open a bit and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the inside of the potato and set aside. (Be sure to leave enough sweet potato so that it retains its shape and doesn't puncture the skin.)
- Set the scooped out sweet potato aside and use it in another dish. (We love these chipotle mashed sweet potatoes.)
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare quinoa according to package directions and then cut the corn kernels off the cobs by holding them upright on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, cutting downward to remove the kernels.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add the kernels to the skillet.
- Cook the kernels over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- While corn is cooking, heat the grill to medium.
- Combine the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a small bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Brush the insides of the sweet potatoes with half of the olive oil mixture and add the sweet potatoes with the orange flesh side down to the grill and grill for 5 minutes.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, charred corn and black beans in a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining olive oil mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the grill.
- Fill each sweet potato with the quinoa mixture.
- Place the sweet potatoes directly on the grill for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the grill and top with diced avocado and fresh cilantro.